Mock Test Examination, Oct 2012 : Difficulty Level: Graduation: PART – I



 PART – I
Difficulty Level: Graduation
Full marks: 100 Time: 3hrs

(a)    Answer ANY TEN question: 10*3= 30
  1.   What is called sonnet sequence? Mention two sequences along with their authors.
  2. What is the meaning of the tile word Astrophel and Stella?
  3. Bring out the significance. What is the meaning of the title word Amoretti? How many sonnets are there in this series?
  4. “Oft turning other’s are leaves, to see if there would flow some fresh and fruitful showers upon my sun burnt brain”-Whose brain is ‘sun burnt’ and why? What is meant by ‘showers’?
  5. Which is called ‘nature’s child’ and why?
  6. ‘Vain man’, said she, “that dost in vain assay”- Why does the lady call the man ‘vain’? It the lady right in saying so?
  7.  “My verse yours virtues rare shall eternize”- rewrite the sentence in proper grammatical order. What kind of rhetoric is in the quoted line?
  8.   To whom does Shakespeare address his Sonnet no 130? Give two examples of ‘false comparisons’ criticized by Shakespeare this sonnet?
  9. What is called ‘Volta’ of a sonnet?
  10. What is stanza division of Shakespearean sonnet? How is it different from Spenser’s?
  11.   Why is the poet, Sidney eager to write verse and to address it to the beloved?
b    B.  Explain with reference to the context ALL the following passages: 10*4=40
  1.   And yet by heaven, I think my love as rare, As any she belied with false compare.
  2.   O; none, unless this miracle have might, That in black ink my love may still shine bright
  3.   Where when as death shall all the world subdue, Our love shall live, and later life renew
  4.   Biting my truant pen, beating myself for spite /”Fool”, said my Muse to me, “Look in thy heart, and write;
 C.    Answer any TWO- essay type.15*2=30
1.       Spenser’s Sonnet No.75 has a derma tic texture and lyrical tendency-discuss.
2.       Sidney’s Sonnet No.1 has a divination of poetic creativity- discuss
3.        Critically appreciate SHAKESPEARE’S Sonnet No.130



Comments

Recent Posts

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Samuel Johnson's "Preface to Shakespeare": Points to Remember

Dr. West’s New Method of Teaching English :Its Merits and Demerits

Milton's Use of Epic Simile in "Paradise Lost", Book-I