Thomas Wyatt's "They Flee From Me That Sometime Did Me Seek": Rhetorical Analysis


 'They flee from me that sometime did me seek,
With naked foot stalking in my chamber.
'

          This  is a case  of Metaphor .The women have been  here  compared to predatory animals  through their  prey is not ordinary food but sexual flood.

   --It is also a case of Hyperbaton since the word order in ‘did me seek’ has been changed from the usual one .

    'That sometime they put themselves in danger
To take bread at my hand; and now they range
Busily seeking with a continual change.
'
    --- This is a case of Metaphor since the amorous women have been here compared to birds while the poet himself  has been compared to the feeder . The comparisons are left in explicit .


    'There with all sweetly did me kiss,
And softly said, "Dear heart, how like you this?"
'

    This is a case of Hyperbaton since the normal word order in the question should have been ‘how do you like this?’

    It is also a case of Paronomasia . Heart may stands not only for human organ but also for its homophone ‘heart on male dear’.
 It is also a case of synecdoche (part for the whole) since the ‘heart’ stands for the lover.

    'But since that I so kindly am served,
I would fain know what she hath deserved.
'

      It is a case of verbal irony . Although the poet uses the word ‘kindly’ meaning appropriately . The  tone of the poet as well as his description of the woman’s poet activity makes it quite clear that he  means the exact apposite .

      This is also a case of Hyperbaton since  the normal word order should have been ‘ I am so kindly served’ .

Comments

Recent Posts

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Samuel Johnson's "Preface to Shakespeare": Points to Remember

Milton's Use of Epic Simile in "Paradise Lost", Book-I

Dr. West’s New Method of Teaching English :Its Merits and Demerits